Thursday, August 20, 2020

Adios, Pepe

We were pleasantly surprised by an unexpected rain last Saturday night. About 9:00 PM, a shower roared through, dropping about half an inch of rain. The ground was so parched that it slurped up every drop. Now, 5 days later, I can't tell that the rain had any positive effect, though I'm sure it did. That's just how dry it is out here now.

And our temps have been just a shade cooler. We have only broken the 100 degree mark a couple of times recently. The mornings have been very nice, with lows hovering about 70 and with a refreshing breeze. It's been pretty good walking weather in the mornings. I'm looking forward to the start of autumn in about one month.

Good color in a neighbor's yard.

Our local schools started this week. I don't know all the details, but the local district is offering both in-person and remote access. I hope things go well, but we've seen some disturbing things around the country the past couple of weeks -- at both the K-12 level and the collegiate level -- so I just don't know.

Our COVID numbers have been improving recently; I hope that they don't shoot up again with schools reopening. I guess we'll know in 2 to 4 weeks.

A Facebook friend posted something recently that I really like: "I don't like being in a pandemic with y'all. It's like being on silent lunch, but we keep getting days added on because y'all won't shut up." I feel pretty much the same way. Donna and I are behaving ourselves and doing our part to get over this pandemic, but all the covidiots out there keep going to Sturgis or street parties or beach parties or rallies and keep spreading this thing around.

I've mentioned our skunk problem before. The crews out here have been setting out traps and have been catching some of the critters recently. On my walk a few days ago, I came across this little Pepe Le Pew towards the front of our subdivision. I guess he has a new home by now.

Trapped skunk

Donna went out to Lake Nasworthy yesterday morning to scare the fish. She says she caught 4 or 5 good sized crappie, but you know how those fish stories go. She'll probably go once or twice more this month, as her license expires at the end of this month. I stayed home and had a relaxed and peaceful  morning off.

We continue to put puzzles together. Here is our latest masterpiece.

"On Golden Shores"

I caught another pretty good sunrise the other morning. Here it is rising between two oak trees.

Sunrise

And that is pretty much all the excitement that has happened around here.

Be safe and smart.

2 comments:

  1. I recently spent over a week live-trapping one field-mouse per night (two the first night) then trekking a quarter-mile to one fence-line or another to release them, wondering the whole time where the snakes and foxes were that were supposed to be keeping these things out of the barn.

    Finally I got suspicious and dabbed paint on the tail of my latest catch then hiked over two ridges and through one ravine before releasing it at the most distant fence-line.

    Sure enough, that same little bugger was back in the trap the next morning. I figure he got back to the barn before I did!

    This time I drove 8 miles away before releasing him along a creek. That was a week ago and we haven't seen him back here yet. . .

    ReplyDelete