We're nearing the end of August, with September and Labor Day right around the corner. Since we retired, this has normally been one of our favorite times of the year. Normally, kids are returning to school, which means going out and shopping and eating and going to movies during the week is very pleasant. And normally at this time, we take off for a nice trip, someplace like Cripple Creek, Colorado, or Santa Fe, New Mexico. But this year is anything but normal.
But, we have to play the cards we're dealt, so we continue to make the best of the situation.
![]() |
| We looked out our den window a few days ago, which overlooks the patio, and saw these little visitors. |
For the past week or so, we had some rather decent weather. Temps stayed just below 100 during the day, and nights dipped to the low 70s and even into the upper 60s a time or two. The mornings were crisp and fresh, and walking was pleasant. But a day or two ago, the triple digits returned, and the foreseeable forecast for the area shows daily highs above 100. The start of autumn is a little more than 3 weeks away, so these high temps won't go on forever. I'm ready for the crisp days of fall, and I would love some rain. As fall approaches, I long for the first cool spell, ideally with a day long soaking rain. It's a good time to put on a pot of soup and enjoy the change.
Speaking of rain, the Gulf Coast had an unusual event with the 2 storms this week. Donna still has a lot of family in the Houston/Conroe area, so we always keep a close eye on these storms as they move through. We also always hope we might pick up some rain from the storms, but that seldom pans out.
COVID cases are definitely on the decline in the area. We are now hovering around 20 new cases a day. I worry about kids starting school; I hope we don't have a new outbreak. I like what I'm seeing in our local district, so I'm hopeful. We continue to do curbside shopping for our needs. I'm grateful we have this service. I feel so fortunate in so many ways.
![]() |
| This is our latest puzzle, "Autumn Porch". Puts me in the mood for autumn. |
I'm debating when to get my annual flu shot. I hate to get it too early, but with the situation we are in today, I'm wondering if early might be better. I just don't know. I'll decide soon.
I hope all of you are doing well, that you are safe and healthy. Be smart!



I think the recommendation for our age group is hold off until mid to late Sept to improve chances of the vaccine remaining effective through the whole season.
ReplyDeleteThat is more or less my thinking as well. Thanks for the feedback.
ReplyDelete