Thursday, July 2, 2020

Broken Record

With each blog entry, I feel as if I am repeating myself. It seems that all I write about is the virus and the weather. Since we are not traveling these days, our lives are pretty boring.

We've discovered a little produce stand -- Wilde Farms -- on the outskirts of town, and we've been there twice now. There isn't much there, but the quality has been good so far. This morning we picked up 18 ears of super sweet corn. We'll put them in the freezer. The last batch of corn we bought from this place was really good. In addition to corn, they also have onions (red and yellow), pecans, and cucumbers.

Wilde Farms self serve stand. Leave your money in the bin at center.
If you live in the area and want to give them a try, you'll find the little stand in the Wall area on FM 765 (Eola highway) about 1 mile east of Loop 306 on the north side of the highway. It is a self serve stand, so take some small bills. On the way there this morning, we saw 2 signs advertising that the Schwartz Boys were going to be putting up stands soon in that general area. We've been buying produce from the Schwartz Boys for the past few years at the local farmers market. They have good quality produce and quite a variety.

It was 104 yesterday evening. Around 7 or so, we began hearing some rumblings of thunder and decided to go outside. A front was working its way through and, surprisingly, the temp had dropped to the mid 70s. Wow! Then it began to rain. Donna and I sat on our back patio for a while with a gentle rain. I harvested some rain water to give the plants on our patio. All in all, we got just over half an inch.

We seem to be reporting at least 20 new virus cases everyday here in the Concho Valley. For the first 3 or more months of this pandemic, we had a total of under 100 cases. Now we get that many in 4 days or so. We don't seem to be very bright, do we? Locally, an event was scheduled called "Beer, Bands, and BBQ" that was set to attract hundreds, perhaps thousands. I think with new restrictions, that has probably been cancelled. Sounds like a good way to spread a virus to a lot of people.

We have 2 new eateries in town. I don't know how you can start up a new business at a time like this, but I wish them well. I hate to see good businesses fail. Pho Saigon was the first of these to open, and I'd like to give the place a try once all of this virus stuff is over. The other place is a seafood place, and I've forgotten its name. I hope both of them survive until I can visit.

When I set out on my early morning walk a couple of morning ago, I was startled by a loud noise in front of me. Since it was still a bit dark, I switched on my flashlight and caught a deer running. The noise was its hooves clashing across a rock yard, then across the street, then into another rock yard. While sitting out early yesterday evening -- before the rain -- Donna and I saw a single doe standing along the road to our south and just looking in our direction for a long time. Finally, it continued along. Later that evening, about the time the rain was moving in, we saw another doe along the road to our north. It stood in the road until a car came along, then moved into the brush along a draw. I'm thinking that each sighting was of the same doe. Most deer in our area seem to move in groups of various sizes, so I don't know why this one is alone. I'll keep watch for her.

I hope things are going well in your part of the world. I'll leave you with a picture of the sunrise this morning.

Sunrise over Rio Concho West

No comments:

Post a Comment