About 7:00 that evening, we began hearing the distant rumble of thunder. Pretty soon, the wind began to shift, and shift hard. We had gusts up to 60 mph or greater. Then lightning began streaking across the sky. Sporadic raindrops began to fall from the sky, slowly at first. Soon we had a good helping of pea-sized hail. Then the rain really came down.
In all, we received about 1¼ inch of rain in just a short time. I don't know about anyone else, but I was not expecting this at all. I do wish we could have some rain without all the dramatics, though. But, you take what is given you.
Since that rain, it has been very pleasant out here. Yesterday, the temp stayed around 90, and so far today, that is again the case. It's been very nice sitting on the patio. With our normally dry climate, I can comfortably sit in the shade with temps below 95, especially if there is a nice little breeze. But once it gets above 95, I head for the air conditioner.
Since that rain, it has been very pleasant out here. Yesterday, the temp stayed around 90, and so far today, that is again the case. It's been very nice sitting on the patio. With our normally dry climate, I can comfortably sit in the shade with temps below 95, especially if there is a nice little breeze. But once it gets above 95, I head for the air conditioner.
COVID-19 cases continue to climb here. We've had more in the last 8 days that we have had in all the previous time of the pandemic. I think that certainly qualifies as a spike. Makes you wonder what it will take to get the attention of the "it's just a hoax" crowd. When our country has experienced twice as many deaths in a little more than 4 months than we did in 2 decades in the Vietnam War, I think that qualifies as something serious.
Donna and I had been getting out once or twice a week to visit grocery stores early in the morning, but I think for now we will retreat to curbside service again with the exception of Sam's Wholesale. I've been impressed with their attempts to adhere to CDC guidelines.
Some places advertise that there is nothing more important to them than the safety and welfare of their customers and that they are putting safety practices into place. I bet you've heard that on TV ads or have seen that on websites or elsewhere. But when you step inside the business, there are no employees wearing face masks, no hand sanitizer available, or other safety practices visible. I don't know about you, but I'm keeping a list of who's being naughty and nice.
I'll leave you with a picture below of a crepe myrtle. I really like its shape and color. It sits outside the front of our bank.
I'll leave you with a picture below of a crepe myrtle. I really like its shape and color. It sits outside the front of our bank.
Be safe; be smart!

No comments:
Post a Comment