Monday, June 8, 2020

Time Gets Away

Since we aren't doing much these days, time just seems to slip away from me. I'm having a bit of trouble remembering what day of the week it is, for example, and every day seems pretty much like the one before. Of course, it may not be the pandemic causing this so much as it is age.

We're looking forward to the time when we can return to normal, but we realize that may be quite a ways off. We're being pretty cautious about this pandemic thing. With our age and "underlying medical conditions", we are willing to err on the side of caution.

We do continue to venture out here and there. Recently, for example, we made a trip to Sam's Wholesale Club and another to Walmart. Donna had a medical appointment one day recently. I waited in the car and read a book and did some people watching while she met with her doctor. I was glad to see the vast majority of clinic visitors wearing masks. On the way home, we drove through Schlotzsky's and picked up a couple of sandwiches.

We had a week or so of some pretty nice temperatures, and it was nice to get back out on the patio and even do a little yard work. Hot weather has returned the past few days, though, and we expect several triple digit days this week. I'll probably limit my outdoor time to my early morning walks.

And speaking of early morning walks, I hope you had the chance to see the full moon a few days ago. I caught my first sight of it one morning as I walked out the front patio gate about 5:45 AM. It no longer is full, but nearly so. It certainly helps light the way in the last bits of darkness each morning.

We continue to "invent" things to do around the house. Hurricane Donna has been on a cleaning binge. We have a steamer for the carpet and floors, and the old girl has put that device to good use lately. I love how the carpet feels new again; it really fluffed up. I cleaned the car over a couple of days, both inside and out. And we took a big load of recycling to Butts Recycling. We hated loosing our old S.A.F.E. (San Angelo Friends of the Environment) Recycling Center. When they first opened in the 1990s, we lived in Ozona, about 80 miles away, and would take our recycled items there anytime we came to San Angelo. But they closed about 2 years ago. Now we take our items to Butts. It isn't as convenient or as well organized, and they don't take quite as much as S.A.F.E., but it still gives us a chance to recycle, and it keeps items out of the landfill. They only take plastic (1 and 2), aluminum, tin, and cardboard. To my knowledge, there is no place in town that takes glass, and I hate that as we use quite a few items that come on glass containers.

Well, I thought we were rid of the martins. Those little rascals are pretty crafty, though. We are used to their buzzing around our back patio, and that is the area we watch for them. We let down our guard, though, and the little sneaks started building one of their nasty little nests above our front door. I discovered it this morning as I was heading out the door for my morning walk. When I returned home, I removed it. I'll have to keep a sharp eye out for them.

I bet our exciting lives are the envy of everyone who reads this blog. I hope all of you are having fun and staying safe.




No comments:

Post a Comment