Monday, July 27, 2020

Awaiting a Vaccine

My posts these days are not regular. Whenever we do something, I usually post right away. When we travel, I post as soon as we return home, and I may have several items to post over the following days. But right now, we are doing absolutely nothing. The only time we get out is to pick up curbside groceries, usually at H.E.B. Gosh, I love that store! I miss going there.

So please bear with me as my posts may get even more infrequent. I look forward to the day we can travel again, or even go out to eat or shop. But for now, we will stay home when we can and try to do our part to slow the spread of this vicious disease.

I was hoping to get some rain from Hanna, but she just grazed the lower Gulf coast of Texas and then headed straight across to Mexico. Guess all we'll get from her is some humidity to go with our heat. I hope the folks in South Texas fare well. The Valley is already hard hit, so they really didn't need this sucker punch on top of the pandemic.

I was watering the plants in the front beds this morning to help Donna out a bit. Boy, her basil surely is doing well. Looks like it's time for another picking. And when basil gets picked in our household, that means Donna makes her delicious pesto. It's one of my favorite pasta dishes.

Donna's basil, surrounded by marigolds on the left and a touch of rosemary on the right.

Close-up of the basil.

We use a little basil on sandwiches from time to time. I love to get some good rye bread, spread a little mayo and horse radish on there, then layer on Swiss cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil. What a tasty meatless meal. 

I also noticed that our mint was going to seed. Next time I get out with the weed eater, I'll just lop off the top of those plants and that mint will take off. It's pretty hard to kill mint; in fact, I think it is one plant that enjoys some abuse. Each winter, I cut it low to the ground and then it thickens up the following spring, better than ever.

Mint growing thick.

I hope all of you are doing well. We are putting puzzles together, reading books, puttering a bit in the yard, walking, and getting on each other's nerves. But we are doing well and looking forward to a better day.

Take care of yourselves!

This pretty young lady was visiting our neighbors across the street one morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment