Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Cold Front Moving Towards Us

We may get our first truly wintry cold blast early next week. Right now, our local weather folks are calling for a high of 52 degrees on Monday and a high on Tuesday of only 32. Those temps follow a high of 88 on Sunday. Monday and Tuesday also bring an 80% chance of rain, and that looks great. Is snow possible?

Now, things can change between now (Wednesday) and then, but I'm hoping for the rain. I don't care for really cold temps, but Donna is planning to put on a pot of homemade beef soup for the cold front, and I'm really looking forward to that. Beef soup is one of my favorite meals. What a snug, cozy image that brings to mind for me.

Donna and I have a new job. We are the newest deliverers of the community newsletter, which comes out on the 1st and 15th of each month. It's really pretty simple, The activity director at the clubhouse gives us a call when the newsletters are ready, we pick them up, then walk the route of about 30 residences putting the newsletters on the clips beside the front door of each residence.

Looks like we are continuing to get sucked into community life around here more and more all the time. We may have to move.

I was nearing the end of my walk this morning just after the sun had fully risen. I began to hear turkeys but I couldn't locate them. Then, when I reached a break in the trees, I spotted them. Those rascals were roosting on a house down the street from us. I bet some of you did not know turkeys would roost on house tops. We do see them quite often around here roosting on high lines and on house tops, so this isn't that unusual. They do make themselves at home. Guess they don't realize just how close to Thanksgiving the calendar currently is.

Turkeys on the roof of a neighbor's house.
 
Close-up of turkeys on a roof.

Some good restaurant news for San Angelo. I've mentioned before that Napoli's has been our favorite local restaurant for the past couple of years. Of course, with the pandemic, we've not been there. Earlier in the year sometime -- or was it late last year? -- Zentner's Daughter had closed. That was a nice restaurant with nice facilities. At the time, there were rumors that Napoli's was moving into the old Zentner's place. Sure enough, they have now moved in and are serving up some good food. We are really looking forward to a nice meal there once we feel it is safe.

Our COVID numbers are still on the increase -- at least, the average daily case rate is. So, we continue to be careful. We use curbside most of the time for groceries, though we do go into Walmart and Sam's Wholesale during senior times. We drive through for fast food from time to time. And we do whatever else requires our attention, such as voting and doctor visits. We have all of our annual visits coming up in early December, so I do hope things have calmed down some by then. 

Today, I leave you with a quote. We are big PBS/Create TV viewers in this household. We especially like the cooking and travel shows. One travel show we watch regularly is Travelscope featuring Joseph Rosendo. At the end of each episode, he closes the show with a quote from Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad/Roughing It):
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Although Rosendo only uses the part quoted above, the entire quote reads:
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."
I think he's on to something. I know Donna and I are ready to get out and travel some more.

2 comments:

  1. Well before you go traveling could you hurry that cold front along? We really could use it down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we aren't ready to travel yet, but the cold front does look promising. Weather report this morning showed it to arrive on Monday with good chance of rain over several days. Keep your fingers crossed -- we are really dry.

    ReplyDelete