The cold front began moving through sometime before I crawled out of my warm bed this morning. Yesterday, we were in the upper 80s; this morning when I awoke, we were at 42. It will probably get a little colder today. As I write this at 8:02 AM Monday morning, it is 21 degrees in Amarillo.
The roads are damp, but it isn't really raining -- yet. It's more like a thick mist out there. This cold and wet weather will continue until sometime Wednesday. After that, we climb back into the 60s and lower 70s for highs while the lows will be in the 40s.
I guess summer time is finally over.
Sunday was a busy day for us. Donna took down her hummingbird feeders and cleaned them thoroughly for storage. We haven't seen any hummers for a while. I pulled up the poles and stored them. Donna cleaned up her plants on the front patio. I'm sure there will be more to do out there after the first freeze. She also harvested the last of her basil. I moved outdoor plants into the empty side of our garage where they will spend the winter.
Donna prepped the stew meat yesterday, and she's in the kitchen now getting that going. I'm looking forward to a bowl of her soup. It is one of my favorite meals. It is true comfort food when the weather is nasty and cold.
We watched a couple of interesting movies last week. The Promise was released in 2016 and The Ottomon Lieutenant was released a short time later. Both films have much in common: they are set during World War I, they involve the Ottoman Empire, and both involve a love triangle.
What I enjoyed most about the movies was their handling of the Armenian Genocide. While The Ottoman Lieutenant dealt with it minimally, The Promise dealt extensively with it. The movie industry is not known for adhering to facts or reality, but at least movies such as these do arouse an interest in learning more about one of the darker chapters of human history. If you've not seen either of these movies, you can find them on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Our latest puzzle is called "Charleston". This one gave the old woman and me considerable trouble. The pieces were so irregular that it was difficult to find pieces we needed. One piece might be large and shaped like the legendary gerrymander, while a piece that fit into it might be a fourth its size and a very different shape.
But we persisted and finally got the rascal all put together. Really, I rather enjoyed the challenge.
![]() |
| "Charleston" |
PSS
It is now 8:23 AM. The temperature has dropped to 39 degrees and the rain is coming down in earnest now. Time to bundle up. Guess I can turn the A/C off now.
Stay safe and warm out there.

No comments:
Post a Comment