We recently endured another 3-day spell of triple digit temps, with the hottest day hitting 108; gosh, mid-May is just too early for that type of weather. But we have also received some sporadic rains the past few days, with the greatest single total registering three-quarters of an inch in my gauge this past Wednesday night. Unfortunately, storms this time of year in our part of Texas can often turn violent, and we did get some hail and high winds a couple of nights ago (sustained winds in excess of 50 mph). Donna and I only witnessed marble sized hail at our house (if that large), but other areas of town saw baseball sized hail. Local auto dealerships are already advertising hail sales. We managed to collect some rain water and store it in. That rain water really does perk up the plants!
Last week, the hair salon at RCW opened. Donna had not had her hair done in a couple of months, so a very frightening situation was developing. We made appointments and visited the place on Monday. All regulations were followed -- face masks worn by both employee and customer, only one customer at a time was allowed in the shop, etc. I'm fine with these regulations; in fact, they make me feel safe.
Early his past Tuesday, we went inside a Walmart for the first time in about two months. There were a few things we wanted that we just couldn't find elsewhere. I'm talking about specific brands here. We hadn't been in the store since aisles were designated one-way. Donna, ever the rebel, decided that she'd go the wrong way on the aisles. The Walmart police arrested her and roughed her up a bit. I bailed her out and took her home and gave her a good talking to.
We took a drive around the countryside one day. We drove out US 67 west to Tankersley (once a community, but today just an intersection), then turned south on FM 2335. We had hoped to pull into Foster Park (county park) on Spring Creek, but barricades blocked the entrance into this inviting little park with all its trees and water.
We continued on south and began driving through parts of the Dove Creek Subdivision. Sometime in the 1990s, we purchased a 5 acre tract in this subdivision. We had plans that one day we might retire there. However, when we moved from Ozona to Midland several years later, we sold the property. The subdivision consists of acreage ranging from 5 acres up to about 40, as I recall. The subdivision is bounded on the north by Spring Creek and by Knickerbocker Road on the south. Dove Creek also runs through the property. Both creeks drain into Twin Buttes reservoir. The subdivision contains 2 private parks with facilities and boat ramps, so you are able to launch into the creeks and even gain access to the lake if water levels are good. Sometimes I wish we hadn't sold that plot of land.
Back in town, we drove through Spring Creek Park on Lake Nasworthy, then through a couple of neighborhoods. We stopped at H.E.B. to fill up with gasoline. This was the first time I had put gas in the car since March 24, and I still had half a tank. What irony! The lowest gas prices in years and we can't really travel. The joke's on us, I guess. We paid $1.50 a gallon, which was up from the low of $1.43 a week or so earlier.
We then drove through Panda Express. I had been craving some spicy Chinese food, so we thought we'd give them a try. Normally, we don't care for take-out. We just feel the food looses something between the time you pick it up until you get home and can eat it. And that was true this time. Oh, I enjoyed it, but I'd rather dine in when possible. But you do what you have to do.
We've put a bit of work into the yard this week. Donna has done most of the work, but I've helped out a time or two. I realized just how soft I've gotten one afternoon while raking. I was huffing and puffing quite a bit and having to stop often to catch my breath. Even though I walk regularly and probably get in excess of 20 or 25 miles each week, my arms and upper body were sore that night. I don't really care for working in our yard because -- in truth -- we really don't have much control over the yard. RCW hires a service to mow our yards, and sometimes I think they cause more problems by the way they mow. And we have to essentially get approval before we make any substantial changes to the yard, such as clearing new beds, for example. For most people out here, that is fine for they moved here to be rid of yard work. But Donna and I have always enjoyed yard work and have taken pride in having attractive, neat and orderly yards. Sometimes it makes me want to get a real yard of my own. Sometimes . . .
Wash your hands, wear your masks, and social distance. Take care and be safe . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment