Well, the boring couple continue to be boring, so you can probably just skip reading this.
We continue with the routine we've developed here at Rio Concho West. We attend events at the clubhouse whenever we can. Donna plays games once or twice each week, and we both play bingo on Saturdays. I walk as often as the weather allows. I was fortunate last week in that I was able to walk several times. One day, I even drove over to walk the
Red Arroyo Trail. Donna and I walked this trail a couple of times when it was completed almost 4 years ago (see "
Red Arroyo Trail"). I enjoyed my afternoon there; I really should get over there more often. It's nice to walk a trail where you don't have to worry about traffic. In fact, I enjoyed the walk so much that I returned there yesterday for a 3.5 mile walk. The weather was great, with the temp reaching the upper 70s. You can't beat that.
 |
| Red Arroyo Trail is paved and wide. It's an easy walk. |
 |
| It's easy to see why it is called Red Arroyo. |
 |
| The neighborhood next to the trail has a nice little lake. |
 |
| The trail runs along the Red Arroyo from Sherwood Way to Knickerbocker. It's a nice open area amidst housing developments. |
 |
| This egret was looking for some lunch in one of the holding ponds along the trail. |
 |
| Numerous spurs provide access to nearby neighborhoods. |
I also try to get to the library on a regular basis. The clubhouse has a nice little library, and I use it frequently. Lately, I've been reading the Navajo detective series by Tony Hillerman. The series features the characters of Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee. I read all of the books of this series in the clubhouse library, so lately I've been going to the public library downtown. I also have some magazines there I try to read when I get the chance.
 |
| Our turkeys are really becoming aggressive. When we first moved to RCW almost 4 years ago, they kept away from people. Now they come into yards, roost on houses, play on patios, and make a general nuisance of themselves. They are fun to watch, though. |
 |
| Close up of the yard invaders. |
On the last day of this month, Donna and I will complete our 9th year of retirement. I can't believe how quickly those 9 years have passed, but I think the old girl and I have done quite a bit of living in that time. And we ain't done yet. We have several trips planned in the months ahead. Nothing huge, mind you, but little ventures that will amuse us. We are learning that we don't like the long trips we once took. I don't like staying behind the wheel for 12 or more hours at a time anymore. Today, we think of 6 or 8 hour drives as our limit. To be honest, I could do shorter than that. And we enjoy making short stops along the way.
 |
| Another early morning turkey jam in RCW. Notice two toms at left displaying their tail feathers. |
The kids are coming this weekend. They felt that I wasn't punished enough at Christmas, so they are returning to finish me off. I'm good, though. Stopped at the liquor store on Saturday and stocked up on survival supplies. I think I'll make it.
No comments:
Post a Comment