Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Back to Normal

Things are gradually returning to normal following the holidays. I, for one, am glad. It's nice to have these little breaks of one sort or another, but I'm always happy to get back to normal. I'm really glad that area schools resumed their classes this week. Get those little rascals back in the classroom where they belong so they don't get in my way in the restaurants, grocery stores, and movie theaters!

Donna and I made an overnight trip to nearby Midland. We lived there about 20 years ago for 5 years, and it was an enjoyable time for us. It was the first larger city we had lived in, and there was so much to do. We loved the restaurants, civic theater, shopping, and other things to do there. Son-in-law Michael started a new job about a year or so ago just to the west of Midland. As soon as grandson Xander graduates from high school (spring 2021), the kids will move to Midland. They have already started plans to build a home there.

Boyhood home of President George W. Bush in Midland
For some reason, the old woman and I think we probably need to be near the kids as we grow older. We think that will make things easier on all concerned. So, we have been looking at housing in the Midland area for the past year or so. Well, I guess we're just too poor; things haven't changed much for us in all these years, Trish. Housing prices there are very high compared to where we currently live. That's what happens in a boom area. I think we have finally given up on finding anything affordable there. Besides, the town has just changed so much since we left in 2002. Traffic is bad, and the personality of the town has changed greatly. We really didn't enjoy our visit there, and I don't think we would enjoy living there again. Perhaps Tom Wolfe was right -- you can't go home again.

Weather is fairly mild right now. Temps during the day are consistently climbing into the 60s, which makes for some great walking weather. Nights are chilly, of course, usually hovering around the freezing mark.

We have in the midst of a somewhat busy week. In addition to routine things like hair cuts and stuff, Donna has 2 medical appointments, just routine stuff. This afternoon, the good folks from Bilbrey Tours will make their annual visit to San Angelo. Each year, they make a stop in town to tell us what trips they have planned for the year. Hopefully, they will have some trips we are interested in.

Early morning traffic jam in Rio Concho West.
Donna and I, along with 2 other couples, are hosting the birthday dinner at the clubhouse tomorrow night. That really sounds like more work than what it actually is. Each month, different folks host the birthday dinners. We serve drinks as folks come in, check them in at the food line, and greet them at the door. It's really all about community fellowship. This will be our second time to host in the 3½ years we've been here.

I hope all of you are off to a great 2020!




No comments:

Post a Comment