Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Thanksgiving Cometh

One of my favorite holidays is almost upon us. I look forward to Thanksgiving each year. I love the colors of the holiday and I love the simple message -- give thanks for what you have.

You'd think turkeys would be a bit more discreet at this time of year. But this group just down the street from our house seems to be inviting trouble.
Courtney and her family will drive down for a day or so. Donna has been busy in the kitchen for the past couple of days now, and she will probably be cooking and baking right up to the moment the hungry invaders arrive. She really doesn't know how to do simple. Each year, I urge her to cut back, but each year, she goes overboard. There are some wonderful aromas emanating from the kitchen, but I'm not sure what they are; I'm not allowed in there. I have eaten for days.

Our little neighborhood has been lively the past few days. Families have been coming in for their visits. It's nice to see young folks wandering about the neighborhood. I went for a walk yesterday and met a teenager on his hoverboard making the loop around the complex. I don't think I could have ever kept my balance on one of those things in my younger days.

The weather has been great the past few days. We even hit the low 80s a couple of days. I got out Sunday afternoon and strung up the outside Christmas lights. Although our maintenance department will put up lights for residents if requested, I prefer to do my own work for as long as I am capable. But for those who can't climb up and down that ladder, this is a great service. And it's nice to see so many lights around the neighborhood. We wouldn't have so many lights if this service wasn't available.

The sun was just beginning to peek over the horizon when I snapped this picture. Notice the fingernail moon upper-left. I also like that the photo captured the flag just to the right center, just above the house line. That's a rather large flag, and it is about half a mile away at a nearby business.
On my walk around the neighborhood yesterday, I saw a painting crew making its way from house to house. They are painting the eaves on all the houses. The lawn crew was also busy. I'm not quite sure if they are mowing or if they are gathering up the fallen leaves; regardless, things are busy around here. And that is one of the many things I'm thankful for. It's nice to live in a place like this where the entire neighborhood is maintained. It always looks good out here.

Some of the inmates will be gathering at the clubhouse on Thursday. Those that do not want to cook a big meal or do not have family coming gather each year at the clubhouse and share a meal and fellowship. That's a nice option to have available.

I truly hope each and everyone of you has a wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy time with your family, and remember to think about all the many blessings we enjoy in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment