Saturday, October 27, 2018

Sometimes I Think We Live in a Zoo

Although Donna and I both suffer restless foot syndrome and are always looking at the greener grass on the other side of the fence, I'm really pretty happy living at Rio Concho West. It's a relatively quiet place, full of some very good and friendly people. One of the things I love most about this place is the wildlife.

If you've read much of my blog, then you've seen the pictures of the animals spotted running about our little bit of paradise. This morning, I really had an interesting walk; I just wish I had taken my real camera with me rather than just my phone camera. The zoom on my Samsung just really doesn't bring things into focus as I would like. Now, I'll be the first to admit that most of the problem is probably due to the one snapping the pics, but my real camera does a better job for a photography challenged person such as myself.

For quite a while now, I've spotted some of our crazy turkeys roosting on power lines just up the street, but it was usually too dark to get a good photo. This morning, my timing was good, and I caught several of the goofy birds perched atop the lines behind a neighbor's house.

Yep, those are turkeys perched atop those lines behind a patriotic neighbor's house.
Word around the zoo -- er, neighborhood, I mean -- is that we have some javelinas roaming the territory. Now, to be honest, I really don't know the difference between a peccary (javelina) and a feral hog, and I doubt many folks do, even if they profess that they do. So it may be that we just have some feral hogs scooting about the neighborhood. Donna had seen a small group of 3 a couple of weeks ago, and Dave, our walking associate, has seen some as well. Well, this morning, I saw 3 of the rascals just a couple of houses down from the roosting turkeys. I snapped 3 photos, but only 1 turned out well enough to post. Heck, in 1 picture, I only caught a tree. So much for failing eyes.

Javelina or hog? This fellow is rather small, so it may be the former.

Not long after that, I came across several deer between some houses, but they were too far away to get a decent picture. And about a mile later, I came across 2 rogue turkeys trying to break into a house.

Help! Turkeys are at the door.
In the past, I've shown pictures of deer, ring tail cats, skunks, a possum, and even a snake. It surely does look like we live in some type of zoo or animal park. Makes life interesting for people like Donna and me who enjoy watching wildlife.

I'll leave you with a picture of the moon setting just after full sunrise this morning.

Moon over Rio Concho West about 8:00 AM today.

Life is good . . .






No comments:

Post a Comment