Friday, July 27, 2018

And the Heat Goes On

Yeah, it's still hot out here. The temp hits triple digits every day. At least we are not getting up to 108 and 109 as we were last week, so it is more bearable. And early next week, we have a slight chance at rain and some cooler temps. After a short respite, though, the temps should rise above 100 again. I guess I shouldn't complain, as some of our neighbors farther west are getting much higher temps.

It's getting pretty depressing. Lake O. H. Ivie -- San Angelo's main water source -- is now down to about 15%. We really need the autumn rains to bless us with continued down pours to refill this lake, but I'm not holding my breath. Area ranchers are starting to sell off their inventory; of course, they are having to settle for lower prices while the middle man -- who, like politicians, does little of the actual work -- makes most of the money. Yes, the rancher will get lower prices for their animals, but my guess is you'll pay more at the grocery store. Something just ain't right with this scenario!

To be honest, I don't even like going outside these days. The heat just radiates all around, and the wind is hot, not cool and refreshing. Yards are burning up, and trees are dying. We rarely sit on our back patio anymore. I'm ready for summer to be over, but we still have 2 full months of hot weather remaining before we can see any cooling trend.

I do continue to walk in the morning. Even then, it isn't very cool. This morning, for example, it was 80 when I left in the dark for my walk. I did catch this picture of a lovely sunrise a few days ago. Actually, the colors were more vibrant about 7 or 8 minutes before I took this picture, but I was among a lot of trees and could not get a clear shot. By the time I got to a more open area, some of the color had faded with the approaching light. Still, it shows a bit of the color that makes sunrises -- and sunsets -- out here so special.

Concho Valley Sunrise
After lunch a day or two ago, Donna and I drove through Spring Creek Park, as we often do. The park wraps along the south bank of Spring Creek on the upper stretches of Lake Nasworthy. We've driven through this park dozens and dozens of times over the years, and we've even walked it and biked it. For some reason, though, we had never noticed the cactus growing on a branch about 8 or 10 feet off the ground until recently. There are some peculiar things out there if you just take the time to look around.

Cactus tree
Here's a closeup of the cactus in the tree.

Stay cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment