Saturday, October 5, 2013

Good Eats: Ginger and Spice, Fredericksburg, Texas

If you've followed my blog for very long, you know how I love Thai cuisine. Whenever Donna and I travel, we always are on the lookout for exotic food, especially Thai, Indian, Lebanese, and Greek. On our recent trip to Fredericksburg, Texas, I discovered a new Thai restaurant that had not previously been there.

Ginger and Spice is located at 116 North Crockett. If you are familiar with Fredericksburg, this is just west of the Vereins Kirche.

My favorite Thai dish is curry, especially coconut milk based curry. I was in luck at Ginger and Spice for the menu had 5 different curries to choose from. I finally decided on the yellow curry, which consisted of potatoes, carrots, and onions in a coconut milk based yellow curry sauce. You could choose to complete the curry with beef, pork, chicken, or tofu. For an additional charge, you could opt for shrimp. I usually prefer chicken in my curry, so that is what I chose this time.

I was not disappointed. In fact, I really can't tell you what the other members of my party had or even if they enjoyed their meals. To be honest, I really didn't care. My curry was really good and all I cared about for the next thirty minutes was the next spoon of yellow curry that went into my mouth. It had that rich, full flavor that only a coconut milk based curry has. I dumped my side-bowl of rice in with the curry and slowly worked my way to the bottom of the bowl, coming up for air on occasion.

I don't know that this was the best curry I've ever had, but it is certainly up there near the top. I would definitely return if in the area.

If you like fast food, then you won't like Thai food. I've learned over the years that the best Thai food is worth waiting for, and our wait time at Ginger and Spice was rather long. But for me, the wait was well worth the end reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment