We've not been doing much, just doing normal things around the house and trying to stay healthy. Donna goes out and terrorizes the fish at Lake Nasworthy from time to time. We both continue our walks, though Donna is not quite as regular in this exercise as I am.
![]() |
| The turkeys have been grazing in our back yard quite a bit lately. I snapped this picture of a turkey that just plopped down for a rest beside our little oak tree late one day. |
We've been having a few visitors lately, and the type we don't like. In the past few weeks, we've had a number of scorpions in the house. Perhaps it's due to the rain, perhaps the heat. Whatever, they are certainly unwelcome. One day, I noticed a couple of thin rust-colored strands extending from behind a light switch cover plate. They seemed to be blowing in a breeze, perhaps from the ceiling fan or air conditioner. I was curious, so I removed the plate. Well, inside I found a scorpion; it was its pincers that were extending from behind the plate..
On another morning, I went into the kitchen barefoot. Heck, I normally go barefoot in the house during the warmer months. I did not turn on the light this particular morning; I was just making my way around using the early morning light from the window over the sink. I stepped on something, and it felt rather crispy, somewhat like I would expect a thin piece of cardboard to feel. I switched on the light, and there was a scorpion. At first I thought it was dead since it had not stung me, but when I lightly tapped it with a shoe, it began moving.
I've found a couple more of the little rascals around, but usually they are dead. We have our house treated every 3 months or so; as a result, most of the time we find only dead invaders. Needless to say, we've both been wearing slippers in the house lately. The exterminators are coming this week, thankfully.
![]() |
| Other turkeys grazing in the yard. Notice how green the grass is. That is unusual for this time of year in this part of the state. |
We've also had lots of grasshoppers this year. They are all over the porches, hanging on to window screens, and just basically getting into everything. They really aren't a problem, though.
But we have been without some other visitors this year. Ever since we moved in just over 5 years ago, we have battled the martins. Now, I enjoy martins from a gardening perspective. Those little rascals can certainly aid in a gardener's battle against unwanted insects. But from the point of view of a home owner, I don't really care for them. They can make some really nasty nests in the most unlikely places. One of their favorite places to perch is on our patio ceiling fan and drop little bombs around. We retaliate by turning on the fan when we see them.
![]() |
| This is the turkey that was sitting in the top picture above. |
For some reason, this year they have not been a problem. I don't know what is different. We've had a little cooler weather -- but not that much. We've had a little extra rain -- but not that much. And we've had more locusts than normal. Regardless of what is keeping them away, Donna and I are grateful.
Boy, my heart goes out to southern Louisiana. Since Katrina, they have really been pounded by storms. Wildfires out west, hurricanes along the coast, tornadoes all over the place, and flooding all over the east. Wow! I certainly can't complain about our weather when I consider all of these things. Count your blessings!
Be safe out there.



Shake out those slippers before inserting foot. Stay safe
ReplyDeleteDick, I'm not sure what happened, but your comment appeared twice, so I deleted one of them. Just wanted you to know in case you got a message. Guess I need to learn how to use this thing.
DeleteOur first low 70's morning around here in months today!
ReplyDeleteWe had 67 this morning. Considering our low humidity, it was VERY nice out.
Delete