We moved into our home here at Rio Concho West at the end of June in 2016. It has been a good 5 years for us. I really don't believe I've enjoyed living anywhere as much as I've enjoyed living here.
No place is perfect, and there are certainly things here we can complain about. But overall, I really am quite happy here. All maintenance is provided, so we have nothing to worry about in our house or yard with very few exceptions. I've gotten quite lazy these past 5 years. For example, a couple of days ago, our disposal clogged up. Donna picked up the phone and called the office, and a couple of hours later a polite young man appeared at our door to repair it. And on his way out, he noticed a fire ant bed in our yard, and he treated it as well, without even being asked to. Thanks, David!
![]() |
| Another lovely West Texas sunrise taken from the mean streets of our little neighborhood. |
One of the best things about the neighborhood is the community itself. It is very quiet and peaceful, and we feel very safe here. Our neighbors are great. Walks in the neighborhood are wonderful, as we know almost everyone we encounter on the streets. It's nice to stop and visit folks as we walk around the community. The clubhouse provides us with a place to congregate for dinners, games, and other activities.
![]() |
| Another sunrise. This was taken from the back of the new long term care facility that was recently completed in our neighborhood. |
We are located very close to good shopping and restaurants. H.E.B. and Walmart are only a mile or so from our front gate, and Sam's Wholesale is across the street from Walmart. There is also a Lowe's on the other side of Walmart. For eating, we have several fast-food restaurants within a mile of the front gate, such as Chick-Fil-A, Panda Express, Newk's, Dairy Queen, Taco Bueno, Wendy's, Jimmy John's, and Firehouse Subs. Just a bit farther, and full-scale restaurants are available, such as Outback, Chili's, and Red Lobster. A couple of urgent care clinics are also within a mile or so of the entrance. A fire station with emergency personnel is behind the Walmart.
True, we do think of leaving from time to time, but that is what we've always done. Donna and I have always been restless; we find it difficult to stay in one place for long. But the longer I stay here, the more reluctant I am to leave. It's a nice feeling to know that if something happened to me, Donna would be living in a safe place among friends.
On to other things . . .
Since last Sunday night, we've had quite a bit of rain. I think it was Sunday night that it rained almost half an inch. A couple of days later, we received almost 2 inches of rain. Then a day or so later, we received just over half an inch, bringing our weekly total thus far to about 3 inches. At 5:00 this morning, it started again and has not let up much. As I write this at 8:15 on a Saturday morning, I'm sure we have received much more than an inch, as it has been coming down quite hard at times. It's nice to know that our reservoirs are filling up. A rainy spell such as this can add enough water to last several years.
We continue to venture out more and more, and we are selectively visiting certain restaurants. It's so liberating to be doing things again. But we still practice proper behavior, such as mask wearing, social distancing, and cleaning our hands, tables, and other items. We never go out without everything we need to feel safe.
As I've said before, Donna and I have always been careful. We've always treated hotel rooms upon arrival (wiping down hard surfaces, spraying beds and chairs, etc.), so this is really not a change for us. But it is disturbing when I'm in a restroom and see men walk out without washing their hands. Have we not learned a single thing over the past year or so? Some of us, I guess, will never learn.
I hope you have a happy July 4th. Be safe out there.



There are some differences, appartments, (with full kitchens) dining rooms, and meal-chits, but when my Mom moved, after 30 years in a condo on a lake, into a simular community it didn't take her long to declar that it was the best thing she could have done.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's a good fit for us. We have our own full-size house (over 2,000 sq ft), so we have an independent life, but we have the security and social aspects of the community. Now, we are always looking for something new and different, and we may move next week, but it is going to be difficult for me to find something better than where we are.
ReplyDeleteI'm enjoying the "Perils of Greg" at Caprock Canyons. What a great park that is! Folks from the eastern part of the state have no idea of what a hidden gem it is.