Well, we made it to spring. Actually, we made it about a week ago, but I can't seem to get motivated to post something more frequently. So, until we start traveling again or something exciting happens around here, I'll just post when the spirit moves me. By the way, some of the pictures below were taken over a week ago, and things change quite a bit this time of year in just a day or two.
This is a great time of year, isn't it. Now, autumn is my absolute favorite time of year, but spring is pretty nice. The nights are warming, the days are warming, the grass is turning green and beginning to grow, and the flowers and trees are putting out new growth and color. It's great to be able to get back outside after a cold winter, and this winter was quite cold for our area.
![]() |
| This beautifully shaped tree is just a few houses up our street. It will be completely full in another few days. |
![]() |
| The oak in our backyard is leafing out. Note the rising moon to the left. |
During my regular walks, I have seen numerous trees leafing out. I especially enjoy the little redbud trees and their beautiful color. I do miss the wisteria, dogwoods, and daffodils of East Texas, but I can make do with what I find out here.
![]() |
| Close-up of picture above, with partial moon on left. |
We continue to have periodic rain. Of course, we are always on the alert for violent weather. A couple of nights ago, both of our phones sounded an alert for blowing dust. Darn! I had just washed off the back patio and cleaned off the front patio. Sure enough, when I went out the next day, there was another layer of dirt on our patio furniture. I just wiped it off with a damp cloth this time, as we will probably have more dirt blowing around with the steady winds we continue to enjoy. We've not received much rain, probably less than an inch total in the 3 rains we've enjoyed so far.
![]() |
| Ducks flying in formation in a northerly direction over our house. |
I've done some other little springtime chores, like pruning back some potted plants and some plants in the flower beds. The "big freeze" really put some hurt on our rosemary plants. I think they will revive. I'm taking the opportunity to experiment. I'm pruning some a little, some a lot, and leaving some alone just to see what happens. I cleaned out the mint bed and pruned it almost to the ground. Dynamite wouldn't hurt that stuff, but it certainly is good in tea.
Last Sunday, Donna and I went out to our state park for the first time in ages to take a walk. We walked the Roadrunner loop trail near the south entrance. This is a 3-mile trail that weaves through mesquite and cactus. At the time, there was very little in bloom, but we did get to see some longhorns.
![]() |
| I love how perfectly symmetrical the horns on this steer are. He posed nicely for us. |








Now if only we could get rid of that "spring-break" culture that kept the roads and parks crowded during my much-needed trip last week (And it's not just me. The Wife gets pretty antsy if I hang around the house too long.) the season would be near perfect!
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite hikes in spring is the loop around Enchanted Rock. The wild flowers along the roadways in that area is a bonus.
ReplyDelete