Thursday, September 20, 2018

Back to Cripple Creek

Donna and I just returned from a week long trip to Cripple Creek, Colorado, and Santa Fe, New Mexico. We were hoping to enjoy some high country cool air, but the temps were above average during our stay. Still, we had an enjoyable time.

Miss Donna and I looking north on I-25, with Raton Pass in the background.
Looking north towards Colorado from Raton Pass.
We left early last Wednesday morning. By our route (see map below), the distance to Cripple Creek from our home is just over 700 miles. If I were a bit younger, I would probably make that drive in a long day, but I'm not any younger, so it takes me 2 days to get there.

Add caption
We stopped for the night in Raton, New Mexico, at the Microtel just off I-25. We walked next door to the Arby's for a sandwich upon our arrival, then returned to our room and collapsed -- at least, I did. Miss Donna still had plenty of energy. As my brother said about her recently, she seems to be "forever young." I, on the other hand, am forever old, and have been for the past 40 or 50 years, so I needed my beauty sleep. My college chums always made fun of me in my younger days. When they would get in to my car, the radio would be tuned to a local AM station, usually the farm report or something like that. Guess I was born too late.

After a waffle and yogurt in the hotel breakfast room the next morning, we hit the road north. It is just a few miles to Raton Pass from Raton, and I like starting the day that way. After climbing to the top of Raton Pass at 7,834 feet, you feel that you are truly in the high country after crossing the high plains of the Texas panhandle and eastern New Mexico. The old Santa Fe Trail snaked its way through this pass on its journey from the U.S. to what was then Spain and later Mexico.

The interesting town of Trinidad, Colorado, lies just north of the pass. One of these days, I'd like to spend a night or two there and explore the sights. We've only made pit stops there, but what we have seen of the town is very attractive.

The drive from Trinidad to Pueblo is easy. We have never encountered a lot of traffic along this section of the interstate, but we do exit on the south side of Pueblo onto Highway 45, which loops around the western edge of Pueblo. We normally stop at the Walmart gas station to fill up, then make a pit stop at the McDonalds just north of there for coffee and snacks. However, we have now had 3 bad experiences at that McDonalds, so we will pass it by in the future and hit the one on U.S. 50 or farther on in Canon City.

And speaking of Canon City, what a lovely place that is. We drove through the downtown area on this trip, and it was very interesting. Of course, it is home to the Royal Gorge, and that certainly has lots to offer the adventurer. This little town on the Arkansas River is another place that we may stop in for a little play time some day.

Now, if you are familiar with this part of Colorado, you might wonder why we go through Canon City to get to Cripple Creek rather than staying on the interstate and going through Colorado Springs. For one thing, I don't want to drive through Colorado Springs. That is a busy, busy place. And I don't care for the highway leading into Cripple Creek from that direction. It comes around on the back side of Pikes Peak, and I just don't care for that ledge driving, especially when you are on the down side of the ledge and there are no guard rails. And to be honest, the distance is virtually the same, so I prefer the route less traveled as well as the one that is less hectic and less terrifying.

After leaving US 50 to the west of Canon City, we travel for the most part on county roads, and the scenery is quite good. The early part of the route goes through some rugged country, then there is a more open section in the middle. On the final approach to Cripple Creek, the road twists and turns as it climbs to the 9,494 elevation where the city lies cradled. We were disappointed that we did not see more color, but as I said earlier, temps have been above average for the area.

We spent a total of 4 nights in Cripple Creek, and I'll write about our time there in the next entry. For now, here are some pictures of the countryside on our drive from Canon City to Cripple Creek.

Somewhere along County Road 11 between Canon City and Cripple Creek.
Looking west from a pullout along CR 11. Note the speed limit. It takes a long time to get anywhere in the high country.
We didn't see much color on our trip to Cripple Creek, but we saw some when we left. I'll show that in another entry.
Mt. Pisgah has an elevation of 10,410 feet, and lies on the western edge of Cripple Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment