I came out of the Golden Nugget Casino a couple of nights ago and was struck by the view of the mountains on the east side of the Colorado River. Laughlin lies in a valley along the river, and rough desert mountains rise both east and west from the mountains. It was about 5:00 PM when I came outside, and the sun had already started descending below the mountains to the west. As a result, the sun was striking only the tops of the mountains on the east side of the river.
By the time I got my camera and found a place to take a picture, the scene had lost some of its golden color, but the picture below still is quite pretty. Just a few minutes after I snapped this picture, the sun had set enough so that the mountains in the picture were completely in the shadows.
![]() |
| Mountains on the Arizona side of the Colorado River |
Many people unfamiliar with the desert do not find anything attractive about it. But if you know where to look and what to look for, there is a great deal of beauty in the desert.

No comments:
Post a Comment