Thursday, February 10, 2022

Ending the Blog

I started this blog just over 11 years ago. My first entry on February 11, 2011, contained the following paragraph:

"My wife, Donna, and I retired January 31, 2011. We hope to do quite a bit of traveling during our 'golden years', and this blog will allow us to share our travels with our family and friends."

I then went on to briefly mention our travel trailer and tow vehicle. We intended to do a lot of RV traveling during retirement, and we did. But we sold our last travel trailer in late 2016; and although I'd love to full-time in our RV just once more for a couple of years or so, I really don't think that will happen. The costs for RVs and tow vehicles have sky rocketed during the pandemic, just as many other things have. 

In fact, in the two years since the pandemic began, we have traveled very little, so there just really hasn't been much to write about. It seems that all I write about these days is the weather, our crazy neighborhood turkeys, and the deer that visit us from time to time. My original intent with the blog, as indicated by the quote above, was for our friends and families to have a way to keep up with our whereabouts as we traveled. It was fun to make those entries on places like Arches National Park in Utah and Palo Duro Canyon. We were doing so much in those days that I often posted something every day. 

Our traveling days, though, are behind us for the most part. We still want to travel, but the constant ups and downs of the pandemic get in the way. And so many things cost so much more today. Although we still find hotels for a decent price, dining costs have certainly risen since the pandemic began. And just about everything to run a household has risen in price, from groceries to utilities to insurance. So even when/if the pandemic fades, we probably won't travel as much as we used to.

After we sold our last trailer, we continued to travel quite a bit. We tried to take at least one trip every month, even if it was just for an overnight stay somewhere. That certainly is not possible now. But we will still continue to travel several times a year unless something unforeseen arises. 

Such infrequent adventures are not worth maintaining a blog for. And to be honest, I've grown tired of keeping this thing going. I think if I did have something interesting to relate, I might keep at it a bit longer. But after 1008 blog entries, I'm ready to close the thing down.

I never like to say never. Who knows, we might just sell our house one more time, move into an RV, and take off for one more great adventure. If that happens, I'll probably revive the blog.

I'll leave the blog live for a while. If we do something worthwhile from time to time, I might write about it, but I don't want to feel the need to make an entry when nothing exciting has happened. At some point, though, I'll probably remove the blog entirely. I like to tidy things up once something is complete. I've always wondered what happens to all those online sites that are no longer maintained. For example, I know of at least 2 Facebook accounts still active even though the people are no longer with us. Who goes in and closes them out? Is there a time of inactivity set that leads to removing the account?

Thank you for spending some time with us. Hopefully, we'll see you on down the road somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Not to be cute (OK, maybe a little.) but happy trails.

    ReplyDelete