Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Dark Side

I'm not proud of it. I've resisted a long, long time. But in the end, it was futile to resist further.

I've gone over to the dark side.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've join Facebook.

In all honesty, I find Facebook and most other social media -- for the most part -- to be silly and juvenile. From what I've seen, such resources are filled with mindless drivel about silly things folks have seen -- usually online -- and want to share with others. And once something is posted, then people respond in droves by "liking" it or by making equally silly and mindless comments.

When do people have time to do all of this? Well, they have time by not doing their jobs, for one thing. Look around. In Walmart, that employee who should be stocking a shelf is actually updating his/her Facebook page. That person driving the car in the lane next to you is tweeting something. And the man pushing the cart wildly down a grocery aisle is watching a funny video his girlfriend just sent him. And yes, that man just ran his cart into me. Take a look around a restaurant. What do you see? You will see instances where two people sitting at a table are not talking, but each is using his/her smart phone. We are not living anymore; we are watching other people live.

So, if I have so much trouble with Facebook, why did I join? Because so many businesses these days use Facebook for their web presence. And if you want to see a menu or a list of services for these businesses, you have to log in to your Facebook account -- if you have one.

I created my Facebook account Friday, and I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of the thing. It seems pretty intrusive to me. I'm trying to remain pretty private, but I've already discovered that is going to be difficult. I "friended" my wife and daughter -- only because I knew I'd be in trouble if I didn't (they don't handle rejection well at all; in fact, they can become quite hostile, at least with me) -- and I started getting friend requests almost immediately from people I really don't even know. I think some people just like clicking on buttons.

But I'm out there now, although I'll probably live to regret it. I don't expect to use it very much, and if I don't "friend" you, please don't be offended. It's really not personal; I'm just not a friendly guy. Ask my wife and daughter -- they can verify this.

No comments:

Post a Comment