Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Life Without the Trailer, Part 3

In the previous 2 installments, I looked at what we missed about the trailer and what we didn't miss. In this last installment, I'll look at traveling without the trailer.

In our recent trip to Colorado, I really enjoyed the ease of traveling without the trailer. I could pull into gas stations, cafes, and other businesses with ease. It was nice to turn on the cruise control and just motor down the highway. And when we stopped for the night, I'd check in at the front desk of a hotel and we'd carry a few small bags to the room. The next morning, we'd eat breakfast at the hotel (if they had a free breakfast), load our bags in the car, and drive away. It was quick, easy, and efficient.

I don't even want to think about what it would be like to drag a trailer through some of the country we just traveled through. Traveling in our RAV4 was easy. And we made better time as well, not that this is important. When you full-time in an RV, you really aren't in that much of a hurry.

So, does that mean I'll never own another RV? No, not at all. However, as I've said before, I just don't enjoy traveling occasionally in an RV. If I have another one, it will be for full-time purposes. I do enjoy full-timing in an RV. I like the freedom that such a lifestyle provides. If I were to full-time, I would want to ensure I get a rig that is comfortable and that has all the perks I need for full-timing, including doing a great deal of boon docking. These are some of the things I would look for in an RV:

  • I'd want some power source, probably solar panels, so that I could spend time in remote areas and still have power. This would allow me to camp on public lands that might not have utilities available. 
  • I'd want reliable Internet. It's so much easier to plan your travels when you have access to Internet.
  • I'd want television regardless of my location. I guess that would mean some sort of satellite plan.
  • I'd want larger than average storage tanks so that I could stay in remote locations longer.
  • I'd want tank heaters for cold weather camping.
  • I'd want comfortable chairs for Donna and me to rest in at the end of a long day of hiking and exploring. And there are those times of bad weather when we would be confined to our rig, so you want to be comfortable.
  • I'd want a comfortable bed for a good night's sleep.
But right now, we're pretty satisfied with traveling in our RAV4. In fact, we have another trip coming up soon. I hope you'll travel along with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment