Friday, May 26, 2017

I Deserve a Medal

Our trip to Colorado and New Mexico last week was a celebration of 40 years of marriage for Donna and me. Actually, our 40th anniversary is today, but we had to take the trip early due to obligations here in Angelo.

I had just completed my student teaching assignment when Donna and I were married in the small side chapel of the First United Methodist Church in Conroe, Texas, Donna's hometown. For the next 2 years, we lived in a small cabin outside Huntsville while I worked on my MA degree and taught freshman English classes at the university in their fellowship program. From there, we've traveled far and wide, living mostly in West Texas but also working abroad a few years in the 1980s. It's been an interesting journey.

Yep, we done been married for 40 years. I must be a saint for putting up with that old woman for so many years. She's one lucky gal. But I'm getting kind of used to her now, so I guess I'll just keep her for another 40.

I wish all of you many happy years of marriage as well. I'm afraid that marriage as an institution is on the decline. I still believe in it, though; I believe in the commitment that it requires to make a marriage work. I believe in the trust that a couple builds over the years. I believe in the team work that a marriage requires.

I guess I'll take the old woman out for lunch today. I believe she deserves a good hamburger on a special day like today. I wonder if I have any coupons.

No comments:

Post a Comment