Saturday, December 3, 2016

Here Comes December

Well, it's been another good week at Rio Concho West (RCW), my new hometown, out here on the edge of the plains.

And we've been reminded that we live on the edge of the plains recently. The winds blew in last weekend. The gusts were quite strong, and I started to think this must be spring rather than late Autumn. The wind even blew some of the Christmas lights out of place on the edge of my roof, so I had to get the ladder out and put many of them back in place.

Donna and I started the week by watching a movie at our local theater. We decided on the latest Brad Pitt movie, Allied, and we weren't disappointed. I enjoy movies set amid the backdrop of World War II. This one had lots of intrigue and, for Donna, quite a bit of romance. I did feel the ending was a bit anti-climatic, but that is probably just me.

Following the movie, we went to Zentner's Daughter Steak House for a late lunch. This place has some of the best lunch specials in town. We hit it on the day when they offered a KC sirloin steak. The steak was really good, but we didn't care for the sides all that much. But it's hard to complain when you get a good steak with 2 sides, a salad, and drink, all for $8.95.

I've been cruising around town looking for a new propane grill. I guess this really isn't the best time of year to do that. In so many places, their grill sections have been replaced with holiday decorations. I think I've been just about everywhere in town that sells grills, and we've narrowed our choice down to one location. We'll head back this coming week and probably bring one home.

We have regularly scheduled checkups next week with our family doctor, so we went in for lab work on Friday. After that, we stopped at our local H.E.B. and picked up a few items. After running home to put things in the fridge, we went out for lunch at Subway. I had seen their commercial on TV for a Reuben sandwich and thought I'd give it a try. I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. Now, we both like Subway, and it is one of our go-to places when traveling. We like to eat light while on the road, so I normally get a 6 inch Black Forest ham sandwich while Donna gets a salad. We're almost always satisfied, but I think I'll pass on the Reubens there from now on.

The rain moved in last night, and it is still sprinkling this morning. So far, we've received half an inch or so, and we should get more before the rain moves out late tomorrow. The temp is hovering around 50 degrees. We prepared for this by defrosting some stew meat. Donna has a big pot on the stove right now, and it's just about ready. That great aroma has drifted from the kitchen into the office, and I'm really getting hungry. This is one of my favorite meals, and we'll be eating this for the next few days while it is wet and cold outside.

Well, that's all the news from Rio Concho West, where the streets are wet and the old folks are huddled around their fires.

No comments:

Post a Comment