Friday, November 4, 2016

Good Eats: Old 300 BBQ

When staying at Blanco State Park, Donna and I like to walk down to Old 300 BBQ on the town square for barbeque and beer.
Old 300 BBQ on the square in Blanco.
Old 300 sits on the northeast corner of the square in Blanco. Walk through the front doors past the washtubs full of iced-down beer to the counter and order up. Menu is on the right. If you happen to stop in from 3 to 6, it’s happy hour with draft beer going for $2 a glass. That’s the kind of happy hour the old beer guzzling woman and I like.
Iced-down bottles of beer greet you upon entering. Donna and I prefer draft beer, though.
On this trip, Donna ordered the BBQ stuffed baked potato while I went for the sliced beef sandwich. The potato was huge and much more than little Donna could eat. The potato was served with a cup of chopped beef, a cup of cheese, some butter, and a packet of sour cream. My sandwich was not served on a round hamburger bun as in most places; instead, it came in anearby oversized hot dog bun. The bun was stuffed with thick slices of beautiful brisket. Donna and I could easily have shared the sandwich. There is a condiment bar with pickles, onions, and other items, as well as 3 sauces. On a whim, Donna picked up some “Blanco sauce” which is, indeed, white. It had a good horse radish taste. In looking at it, I did not think I’d enjoy it, but I really did. It gave my sandwich a nice little kick.
Of course, we both enjoyed a brews on tap. Old 300 serves beer from the local Real Ale Brewing Company, so we tried their Octoberfest. It was a decent little Bavarian style lager, but Donna and I are rather routine people and reverted to Bud Light on our next order.
Interior is simple and clean and bright, just as a Texas BBQ joint should be.
The restaurant is simple, decorated with various items from the past. It is open and light, and we like that. There is seating on the porch, but we noticed it was in the sun the entire time we were there.
Main dining area.


No comments:

Post a Comment