Friday, September 2, 2016

I Hate Change

I knew the time was coming, and I dreaded it.

My faithful computer of many years had been showing signs of old age. It was becoming cantankerous and fussy, and I knew it was just a matter of time before I would have to put the old boy out to pasture.

Well, that time came last week.

I do hate change, and I hated the idea of getting a new computer and getting it set up. It takes so much time to get a new computer personalized the way you want. Fortunately, I perform a backup of my data files every night, so moving files to a new computer is probably the easiest thing for me. But getting your programs installed, settings personalized, and just learning the ins and outs of a new OS is not something I enjoy doing.

For the past few years, I've been running Vista, so I knew I had a big adjustment ahead of me. My new computer runs Windows 10, and it is vastly different from Vista. And to be honest, I don't know that there is any improvement. There probably are many advantages behind the scenes. Security is probably enhanced, and some things are probably more seamless. But after only a week, I'm struggling. For example, on my previous computers, when you turned the Num Lock key on once, it stayed on until you turned it off. Not so with my new computer. Every time it restarted I had to turn Num Lock back on. Yes, that isn't really a big issue, but when you use the keypad and you log into your computer using an alphanumeric password, it can become a bit troublesome. So, after some research, I found a registry edit that fixed this little issue.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

But I'm plugging along, researching Windows 10 and trying to learn how to use this new OS. And I decided that since I was upgrading my computer, I would also update some of my programs. I've been using Office 2007 for years, so I figured for security reasons it was time to upgrade that software suite as well. I'm testing the new package now on a 30 day trial, and I'll probably purchase at the end of this period, but I may only purchase a one-year license. I intend to look at some free programs during the upcoming year, such as Apache Open Office, to see if they offer the features and security I want.

Probably one of my biggest complaints is that you don't just buy a computer and OS anymore. Computers today come packaged with all types of software, most you probably don't want or ever use. They just consume space on your hard drive and pop up occasionally with some aggravating little advertising message. Personally, I'd prefer a clean computer with only the OS installed. But then, I suppose I'm an old fossil. We're moving in the direction of everything being run from and stored on "the cloud", and our young folks can pick up a new computer and be running it efficiently almost immediately. I still work from the old basis -- I want things on my computer.

I suppose it won't be much longer before someone puts me out to pasture.

1 comment:

  1. Howdy, I am a computer hate to change guy also. I met Donna this morning as she was headed to the trailer after fighting the trail up to the ridge. We swapped stories and blog titles. I will check in once in a while to see how things are going.

    ReplyDelete