Sunday, November 15, 2015

Good Eats: Classics Burgers and "Moore", Kerrville, Texas

Donna and I are always on the lookout for an old fashioned hamburger. We're not interested in some trendy new twist on a burger; in fact, I wish they would call these contraptions by some name other than burger. I'm not interested in all sorts of things being added to the burger, and I don't want something so large that I can't take a decent bite without the thing falling apart. I just want a good, old fashioned beef burger with lettuce, onion, tomato, mustard, and pickles. I want the patty hand formed fresh upon ordering, and I only need about a quarter pound meat. I like the bun to be toasted, and a thick slice of cheese on top is very welcome.

We found a pretty good place on our recent trip to Kerrville. Classics Burgers and "Moore" serves up a very good burger for a very decent price. The restaurant is owned by Mike and Cindy Piper, a couple well known to Kerrville residents. The Pipers also own and operate the very popular Hill Country Cafe, located downtown a few doors down from the Kerr County courthouse. The Hill Country Cafe has been in operation since 1942, so you know something good is happening there.

Classics Burgers has not been around that long; they only opened in 2002. But in that time, they have garnered 11 Reader's Choice awards and were listed a few years ago in Texas Monthly magazine as having one of the top 50 burgers in Texas.

The restaurant is a simple affair, set back from Sidney Baker Street south of the Guadalupe River and just south of the H.E.B. complex. The restaurant is decorated with pictures of classic stars of the past, such as James Dean, Elvis Presley, and Marilyn Monroe. Orders are taken at the counter, then the meals are delivered to your table. Again, it is a simple affair and, for me, that is a good thing.

The burger was everything we hoped it would be. It was a good, solid, traditional burger. We shared some french fries and onion rings. Donna enjoyed their fries though I did not care so much for them, but I loved their onion rings. The batter clung to the rings and did not fall apart when eaten.

Most of their burgers are 6 ounces. It was only after we ordered and were half-way through our meals that we noticed that they also had a senior menu, which serves burgers with 4 ounce patties. Next time we visit the place -- and we certainly will be back -- we will order off the senior menu. And for those of you who like "specialty" burgers, they have a wide assortment. I'll stick with the old reliable classic burger myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment