Sunday, December 14, 2014

Where We Ate in Fredericksburg

While in Fredericksburg, we ate at 3 different places.

Our first dining stop was Ginger and Spice, a place where we enjoyed a good meal with my brother and his wife just over a year ago (see "Good Eats: Ginger and Spice, Fredericksburg, Texas."). I had the same yellow curry that I had on my last visit, and I was not disappointed. But last time, we had supper there; this time, Donna and I arrived in time for lunch. In addition to your lunch order, there are complimentary condiments, including several types of sushi. I'm not a sushi eater, so I didn't try any, but Donna made 1 or two trips and seemed to enjoy it.

We also ate a snack at Auslander, which has long been a favorite of ours. We've tried just about everything on the menu that we think we'd enjoy, including several of the German dishes, and I've never been disappointed. This time, we were taking advantage of the restaurant's happy hour (4 to 7, I think). During happy hour, pints are $3, which is a pretty good deal for Fredericksburg. After experimenting a bit, we finally decided that a dark Dunkel was our favorite. After consuming some not so mass quantities of Dunkel, we began getting a bit hungry, so we looked at the menu. In the past, there was a dip we had enjoyed numerous times, but I did not see it on the menu. I asked the bartender about the dish, and he said it was still available; though not on the menu, you could request it, so we did. It basically is a nacho dip, with cheese, beens, and beef, along with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. We shared that treat, and really enjoyed it. It seemed to go well with the dark beer we had been drinking.

We ate two meals this time at a relatively new restaurant: Culture's Grill and Bar. We also ate here a year ago with my brother and his wife, but I really didn't enjoy it that much at that time. Our first meal here this trip was their Culture's Nachos. We opted for the grilled steak in addition to the usual toppings. I was disappointed in the "steak". It almost seemed like it was round steak that had been beaten, then cut into strips. I could detect no grill flavor nor any fajita flavor. The dish was edible, but not what we were hoping for.

Not to be deterred, though, we returned at happy hour (3 to 6 at Culture's), drawn by the vast array of draft beers available. From their beer menu, I count, I believe, 44 beers on tap. Wow! We were going to have a good time. As with Auslander, most beers during happy hour are $3 a pint, but a few are a bit more expensive. I started with a pint of Guinness, and I was not disappointed. Donna decided to sample a Double Chocolate, and I admit I do not know who makes this. Both were very good. Eventually, we both reverted to our standby from the previous day, Dunkel, and we enjoyed ourselves. As happy hour wore on, our hunger grew, so we decided to try another meal at Culture's, and this one turned out to be the best by far (perhaps anything would have been good by this time after sampling all that beer). So, Donna ordered a hamburger while I ordered a Reuben. Once the orders arrived, we then cut our sandwiches in half and shared, so that we each ate half a Reuben and half a burger. The burger was really good, and the Reuben was good as well, but not as enjoyable as the burger. The Reuben was served on pumpernickel bread, and I'm used to Reubens being served on rye. Otherwise, we had a good meal to follow up all that good beer.

In closing, I'll add that we also stopped in at Fredericksburg Brewing Company for a pint. I've always enjoyed their Pioneer Porter, a dark brew made in-house with overtones of coffee and, I think, chocolate. However, at $5.25 a pint, we decided that one pint would be our limit. At such prices, we will probably not visit again. After all, I can get a Guinness just down the street for less, and it's pretty hard to beat a good Guinness.

No comments:

Post a Comment