Monday, October 6, 2014

Movie Review: Gone Girl

Donna and I recently watched Gone Girl at our local movie theater. Based on the book of the same name by Gillian Flynn, the movie stars Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. Supporting cast includes Tyler Perry, Neil Patrick Harris, Carrie Coon, and Kim Dickens.

The plot revolves around Nick Dunne (Affleck) who returns home on his fifth anniversary to find his wife Amy (Pike) gone and indications of a struggle in his home. The police begin their investigation, which soon turns into a media spectacle. Eventually, evidence begins to point to Nick, and his neighbors and the media soon turn on him. As the movie progresses, the couple's life together is revealed through a series of flashbacks, and the pieces of the plot begin to come together.

The plot is more complicated than this, though, as are the characters, and these complications are what drive the remainder of the movie.

All of the actors deliver solid performances. I especially enjoyed the performance of Kim Dickens as coffee swilling Detective Rhonda Boney, the lead investigator on the case. Her combination of dry humor and old school tough cop make for an interesting character.

The movie is a bit long at 148 minutes. Since watching the film, I've run several scenarios through my mind as all the pieces just don't seem to fit for me. As far as I'm concerned, I'm still contemplating Nick Dunne's final decisions in the movie and why he made them. I don't think I would have made the same decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment