Thursday, September 25, 2014

Movie Review: This Is Where I Leave You

Donna and I went to our local Cinemark Theater yesterday and watched This Is Where I Leave You. The film has a solid cast, led by Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, and Jane Fonda. This comedy-drama revolves the Altman family following the death of the family's patriarch.

Following the funeral, the 4 adult Altman children (Tina Fey, Jason Bateman, Adam Driver, and Corey Stoll) are grounded by their mother (Jane Fonda) for a week of sitting Shiva, a Jewish tradition where visitors stop by daily to remember the deceased. The dysfunctional side of the family emerges as the siblings are forced to spend time together. The time they spend together leads them to examine their lives, and all of them have numerous issues, especially as regards relationships.

While driving the dramatic aspect of the script, this forced togetherness also brings about much of the comedy. There are a number of belly laugh scenes, and I'm not one to laugh aloud too often.

I was disappointed by the language used in the film. I don't mean to come off as a prude, but I don't like to hear vulgar language when there is no reason for the vulgar language. The "F word" is heavily used throughout the film, and I was really uncomfortable with that. I do not see that anything was gained by the use of such language.

In the end, the film is really about pursuing your dreams, about finding out what you really want in life. This is something that most of us having passed middle age have considered at one time or another, so the film helps bring this home.

While not a great film, I found it entertaining to say the least, but it isn't one I'll need to watch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment