Friday, March 14, 2014

Invasion of the Barbaric Hordes

The Sheriff and his rowdy posse are back in town. It's spring break, so they have swooped down on us for a few days. They arrived Wednesday at noon, but Papa Michael and oldest grandson Xander left today for a cub scout camping trip; however, Mama Courtney and Sheriff Camden are staying until Sunday.

The Sheriff has changed quite a bit since his last raid. He definitely has more personality now, but he is still a no-nonsense type of guy. He crawls around and plays, but smiles are rare. He is a very serious little fellow. His bottom lip seems to permanently jut out, and that reminds us all of my father.

This is probably the closest thing to a smile you'll get out of the Sheriff. He was really in a good mood, believe it or not. How do you like that lower lip?

But his very serious disposition reminds me of my great-uncle Thomas, the youngest brother of my grandfather. Uncle Thomas was born in 1910, almost 20 years after my grandfather. Sometime in the early 1980s, Donna, Courtney, and I were visiting my parents in their Fairfield home during Easter break. Dad needed to go to nearby Mexia on business, so I tagged along. On the way back, we decided to detour past the last area farmed by his father near Pt. Enterprise and Shiloh, small communities east of Mexia. As we were driving along a dirt road, we saw a farmer plowing a field with a team of mules. Dad recognized the man as his Uncle Thomas, and had me pull over. He had not seen his uncle in years, and I had not seen him since I was a child. We waved the man over, and he approached the fence where we were standing. Dad spoke to him, asked him how he and his wife were getting along, and just made the normal chit chat. During this time, Thomas answered questions briefly, and never smiled. He was not a friendly sort. After a few minutes, he asked, "Are we done here?" He then turned and resumed his plowing. He had work to do and didn't have time to spend with idle chatter. It was Good Friday, and like many traditional farmers, he wanted to get his seed in the ground.

So, I can see a little of my Uncle Thomas in the Sheriff.

Here's a recent picture of Camden that Courtney sent us. Again, that bottom lip is hanging down.

This is a picture of my mother holding me when I was a mere babe. Can you see a resemblance with the picture of Camden above?
I was fairly chubby as a baby, but soon became slim and remained so until Courtney was born. I've been fighting my weight ever since. We'll see what happens with Camden.

Courtney and her husband are expecting another child. It is due in July, which is when Camden was born, and this one is also another boy. Wow, they went on a 10 year drought, and now she's popping them out annually. 


No comments:

Post a Comment