Friday, May 10, 2013

Daytripper

I first heard the term "day tripper" long ago. The Beatles released a single entitled "Day Tripper" in the mid 1960s as the B side of "We Can Work It Out". Both songs did very well on the charts.

During my time abroad in the 1980s, I worked with a number of Brits and heard them used the term often. It is used, of course, to refer to someone who takes a trip in a single day. I've always liked the phrase; it has a certain lyric quality to it.

About 10 or more years ago, I joined a website called "Wild Texas". The site draws people who are interested in exploring the Texas outdoors. In addition to the information provided, there was a very active forum, and people discussed camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities. When I joined, I used the moniker of "Daytripper." I've not used the site much in the last few years and don't know how active it is today, but if you go back far enough in the archives, you will find some posts by me, aka Daytripper.

While on the subject, another website I once used to get information about hiking in Texas is Texas Hiking. For some reason, when I joined that forum I did not use the Daytripper username; rather, I simply joined as "kcameron". It's a good site, and provides very specific information about hiking the trails of Texas. If you like hiking in Texas, it is the place to visit.

Anyway, I've always liked the name Day Tripper. So when I came across a listing a couple of years ago for The Daytripper on our local PBS channel (KERA from Dallas), it was only natural for me to check it out.
The show, currently in its 4th season, is hosted by Chet Garner, who travels around Texas with his crew. Each half hour show records a single day trip to a Texas location. It usually consists of 2 or 3 stops at museums, recreation venues, or other places of interest, as well as 1 or 2 food stops.

I enjoy the show. Chet Garner is a bit wacky, but that makes it a fun show. It's obvious the man enjoys his work, and he wants his viewers to enjoy the show as well. And the show does a good job. It earned a Lone Star Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Magazine Program – Series, for its Marfa, TX episode.

If you are looking for a trip in Texas, visit the website (linked above) and click on the "Daytrips" button. You can pick from any of the locations and then watch the episode.

Enjoy our great state, and perhaps I'll see you down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment