Monday, March 11, 2013

Good Eats: The King and I, Midland, Texas

It's no secret that Donna and I love Thai food. I've reviewed a couple of Thai restaurants in the past few months. You can find these and other restaurant reviews on the "Good Eats" page my website, "Living the Good Life".

While living in Midland from 1997 to 2002, Donna and I had a favorite Thai restaurant called The King and I on Big Spring Street just north of downtown. The restaurant operated out of a former Taco Bell, so seating was limited. A loyal clientele frequented the restaurant. We were among that number. Our favorite dish then was the toom yon goong, which is a spicy shrimp soup. The dish was always good; we were always satisfied with our meal.

Then Donna and I left Midland and we did not eat at the King and I again -- until this past Saturday. This place has only improved with age.

There is now a second location in the north of Midland in the Cornerstone Shopping Center. If I recall correctly, this location formerly housed a CiCi's pizza restaurant, so there is plenty of room here. We opted for this location on this trip.

We began our meal with 2 green chili egg rolls. These vegetarian egg rolls were served fresh and hot, and they were tasty and very spicy.

For our entrees, we both ordered curries. Donna prefers a green curry while I prefer a red. Both contained chicken and were served with sides of steamed rice. I do believe this was the best red curry I have ever had. Donna felt the same about her curry. The only problem is that the bowl had a bottom to it. I could have stayed and eaten the entire pot. My red curry had a coconut milk base. The golden curry dish had a full, rich flavor.

You can view the menu for The King and I at http://www.midlandmenus.com/category/menus-j-l/king-and-i/. The addresses for both locations are provided at the site as well.

I'm looking for an excuse to return to Midland so I can enjoy another bowl of red chicken curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment