Monday, December 24, 2012

Back to Big Spring

We're back in Big Spring now so that we can spend Christmas with Courtney and her family.We arrived yesterday. Last night, after supper, we all drove around and looked at Christmas lights in Big Spring. The city sponsors a Christmas lighting known as Comanche Trail Festival of Lights.  It really is an impressive display, located in the scenic city park on the south side of the city.

We will remain in Big Spring until the day after Christmas, when we will leave for a journey to the Big Bend country. I'm excited about that. When we lived in Midland and I worked for Region 18 Education Service Center, I would travel to the Big Bend country frequently to serve the schools in that area, including Terlingua CSD just outside the park entrance in nearby Terlingua/Study Butte, and San Vicente ISD, a small K-8 school actually located within Big Bend National Park at Panther Junction.

I always enjoyed my visits to this unique corner of Texas. There is truly no other place like it in Texas. It will be interesting to see how it has changed over the past 12 or so years since I was last there. Most of our activities will be focused within the national park itself. We will enjoy a few short hikes, visit the Basin, and visit J. O. Langsford's old Hot Springs home.

Outside the park, we will visit Terlingua and nearby Lajitas. We may even follow the River Road all the way to Fort Leaton and neighboring Presidio. I'll take lots of pictures and post them when I have connectivity.

From Big Bend, we will then journey east for a while, visiting some places that have been on my "to visit" list for a while.

I'll see you down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment