Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Good Eats: Lil Thai House, Longview, Texas

Donna and I love Thai food. We fell in love with it the first time we ate it while living abroad many, many years ago. We are always on the lookout for a good Thai restuarant.

Longview has a good one, the Lil Thai House.

We have been eating at the Lil Thai House in downtown Longview for about 5 years or so, I guess. It is a little "hole in the wall" restaurant with a Bohemian spirit, and it seats probably no more than 25 people or so.

On this particular trip, I ordered the Red Curry with chicken, my traditional favorite, while Donna tried the Pad Thai with chicken. The Red Curry has a rich curry sauce. It is served with steamed rice, which I heap in the bowl to soak up that wonderful sauce.

This was our first visit to Lil Thai House in almost 2 years. I felt that the quality of the food had declined some during that time. Don't get me wrong; it was still good, but not at the high level we had experienced in the past. The bowl my curry was served in was smaller as well, and I felt the portion was smaller even though the price was higher than what I had paid in the past.

I was also disappointed that the restaurant is really only open a total of 18 hours per week (see hours of operation on website). It's almost as if that by charging higher prices, they do not have to open as much.

The restaurant does draw a loyal base of customers, and many are greeted by name. Employees are friendly, and I have seen many of the same faces over the years.

Lil Thai House has the Thai food market in Longview wrapped up. I do not know if there are any Thai restaurants in nearby Tyler. I feel that some competition would be good. I do not find the food any better than what we enjoyed at The Best Thai Restaurant in Canyon, Texas, where we enjoyed a great meal in August. The Best Thai Restaurant also has a more varied menu and a much better dining room.

But if you do hanker for some good Thai food, you can find it at Lil Thai House.

No comments:

Post a Comment