Sunday, July 8, 2012

Diet Update

Not much to report on my diet.

After losing more than 25 pounds, I've more or less leveled off for the time being. We've had company off and on for the past 2 weeks or so, and that has gotten me out of my routine. For me to diet effectively, I need a routine. Instead, we've eaten out at places we normally would not eat, and we've cooked meals we normally would not cook while dieting.

But I'm pretty satisfied, because I haven't gained any weight -- I'm just holding steady. Part of this is because I've continued to exercise. I try to walk 3 miles at least 3 times a week. And I've started interspersing some short jogs into my walks. I started off with one good 100 yard jog at the end of my walk, and now I'm jogging at least 6 times during the walk. I don't want to push this too much; after all, I'm no spring chicken. I hope to soon work up to jogging about quarter mile and then half mile intervals and extending my distance from 3 miles to 4 or 5 miles. As we begin to travel soon, this may get difficult. Since we will be in different places every few days or so, it may be difficult for me to find a good place to exercise. I know the route here at home, and I'm comfortable with it. I know exactly how far it is. But when we are in a state park or commercial RV park, judging distances will be a bit more difficult.

I used to jog almost daily until I began working at Region 18 ESC in Midland in the late 90s, and I enjoyed the energy boost it would give me for the rest of the day. I'm beginning to get that pep back. Since we will soon be doing some good hiking, I need that extra energy. Overall, I'm just feeling so much better, and I've not experienced any real back pain since the weight loss began in early May.

We have about 2 weeks until we close on our house. We have a list of places we want to eat just one last time before we leave San Angelo behind, so I may not lose any more weight until we get on the road. But when we move into our trailer full time, you can bet we'll be bringing those scales with us. I still have a few more pounds I want to lose.


No comments:

Post a Comment