Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Gypsy Life

Now we've gone and done it . . .

We've sold our home, and we have no place to go. We're homeless.

But let me back up and start at the beginning.

We put our house on the market in early May, signed a contract in early June, and will officially close on July 23. We really didn't expect it to happen so quickly. And we have no intention at this time to look for another house.

When we first put our house on the market, we considered moving to Conroe, which is Donna's home town. I like Conroe, and have strong feelings for it since I've been in and out of that town for the 35 years I've been married to Donna. But after a visit there in late May, I'm just not ready to make that move yet. Conroe is a busy, busy place, and it is going by leaps and bounds. It really feels like North Houston to me. After living in West Texas and various rural areas most of my adult life, I'm just not ready for that type of ant bed activity.

About the time we retired a year and a half ago, we toyed with the idea of selling our house and just packing everything up and traveling in our travel trailer for a while. I just couldn't bring myself to do it at that time.

We've made the plunge now, though.

After a house-clearing garage sale in late July, we'll put what remains in storage and then hit the road in our travel trailer. I don't plan to spend the rest of our lives living this way, but I do plan to spend the next several months doing this. We still have good health, so now is the best chance we'll ever have to see some of this great country.

And you can be sure that I'll be sharing our travels in this blog, so please make plans to ride along with us.

In the weeks to come, I'll outline our plans and share our pre-trip preparations. But remember, we're really living the gypsy life now, so our plans can change at any time. If we come to a road that looks interesting, chances are we'll take it and see where it goes. Life is an adventure, and you only get one shot at it, so make it count.

Happy trails to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment