Located on Ranch Road 864 just south of US 190 between Menard and Eldorado, Fort McKavett was -- and still is -- an isolated post. Established in 1852, the fort was one of many located along the Texas frontier to protect settlers and travelers from Indian depredations. It was abandoned prior to the Civil War, then reopened in 1868 to serve mainly as a supply depot in the war against Comanches who had made inroads during the Civil War. Following the end of Indian hostilities, the post was finally abandoned for good in 1883. In 1968, the post was purchased by the state and was, for years, part of the state park system. Today it is operated by the Texas Historical Commission.
There are quite a few surviving buildings at the post. It is located on a rise -- it would be too presumptuous to call it a hill -- and it affords a commanding view of the surrounding area.
|The post hospital today serves as the park headquarters. The white buildings to the left are the privy on the left and the "dead room" (morgue) on the right.|
|Captain's Quarters at opposite end of post from hospital.|
|Ruins of commanding officer's quarters|
|Lieutenant's Row facing the parade ground|
|These are the only barracks that have been restored. They are furnished and open for viewing.|
|Donna found this cactus growing out of a rock wall|
|Pretty patch of bluebonnets along the nature trail|
|Spring and headwaters of the San Saba River|
|Bluebonnets set against limestone outcropping|
|Donna in a patch of bluebonnets|