Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Good Eats: Packsaddle BBQ, San Angelo, Texas

I have a confession to make.

Donna and I have lived in West Texas off and on ever since 1979. We have always loved living out here: the people are great, the "big sky" is fantastic, and we've generally enjoyed the drier climate. However, there is one thing in West Texas I've not been too fond of until recently, and that is barbeque.

In the past, much of the BBQ I've sampled in West Texas has been more grilled than smoked. As a result, I've always favored East Texas BBQ, especially that cooked over hickory and oak. However, we recently gave Packsaddle BBQ a try, and I really enjoyed my meal.

Packsaddle BBQ is located on Knickerbocker Road near Lake Nasworthy. It is packed for lunch every day it is open. The day we went, there didn't seem to be as many cars since it was well past noon, so we thought we'd have no trouble getting a seat.

We were wrong.

Although it did not have its normal large crowd, we still had to wait to get a table, but the meal was worth the wait.

Since this was my first visit, I wanted to try something basic that would let me sample several items, so I had the sliced-beef plate with potato salad and beans, served with 2 slices of white bread. Everything was excellent, including the $6.95 price. Service was traditional Texas home style where the waitress kept my tea glass full. Some friendly folks work there.

The menu is pretty extensive for a BBQ place, so I'm anxious to venture back and try some other dishes, such as chicken fried steak, onion rings, and burgers.

There are several other BBQ places located in San Angelo, including Bodacious (an East Texas-based chain), and I'm eager to try each of them. But it's nice to know Packsaddle is there with some quality BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment