Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Life in a Trailer

Prior to our current experience, the longest we had stayed in our trailer was about 10 days. We've been in here now for almost 3 weeks, and we expect to stay another 3 to 4 weeks in the trailer while waiting for our house to be completed.

So, how are we doing?

For a couple of old geezers, Donna and I are pretty flexible. That's good, because there are lots of adjustments to make when living in a trailer.

The refrigerator is about one-third the size of our regular fridge, so we have to plan our purchases more carefully. We do this by purchasing smaller quantities and making more trips to the store. Our overall storage space, of course, is greatly reduced, so we are unable to go to Sam's Wholesale, for example, and purchase items as we normally would.

And then there is the human space. Our combined living, kitchen, and dining area in the trailer is about the size of an average bedroom. Our bedroom is even smaller. And the shower . . . Well, let's just say I miss the shower in my old home.

All in all, though, we do fine. Probably the biggest problem, at least for me, is boredom. I feel that we are in sort of a transition period. If we were on vacation and visiting interesting locations, then we'd be going out to museums, hiking, or doing other sight-seeing activities. However, now we are grounded in one spot, just waiting for all the dominoes to fall in place. Donna goes fishing almost every day -- sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. She loves fishing. I work on genealogy projects I'm involved in. We watch a little television, and we both read quite a bit. We try to keep healthy by walking. We have developed a 3 mile route we walk several times a week, and we ride our bicycles as well.

I spend a little time on a regular basis maintaining the trailer. I try to keep all slides, steps, and other related items lubricated, for example. I monitor all tanks (grey water, black water, propane, etc.) and empty or refill as appropriate. I clean out all external hutches from time to time and re-pack them to get more efficient use out of them. I try to stay busy.

But at the end of the day, I'm looking forward to moving into our new home and getting to work in the yard and building my new garden. Life in a trailer is good for a while, but there is no place like a solid home.

No comments:

Post a Comment