Saturday, March 19, 2011

Staying Busy

When I was gainfully employed, I worked merely to make a living. Many years ago, I did have a passion for what I did. But as the years passed and I was moved from position to position, I lost my passion. For the last 8 years or so of my career, I was really doing work that I had absolutely no interest in at all. All I looked forward to was going home at the end of the day. Retirement was my salvation.

Now I'm free to do what I want whenever I want, and I enjoy staying busy. I may be in the minority here, but I like mowing my yard. I take great pride in doing a good job. I enjoy being outside. I pause time and time again as I'm working to watch a plane streak cross the sky, sometimes passing in and out of clouds. Mockingbirds and robins follow me as I mow, hoping that I stir up bugs for them to snatch up. Squirrels scurry across the top of the privacy fence behind my backyard, then hop onto a branch and disappear into the trees.

I love listening to all the sounds. I live near an elementary school, and although I cannot see the school from my house, I can hear the voices of the children as they enjoy recess throughout the day. The hum of other mowers in the neighborhood remind me that I'm not the only one working outside.

What I really like is that I'm in no hurry to finish my work. When I was employed, I would hurry home after work and rush to get the yard mowed before darkness set in. Now I have all the time I need, and I truly enjoy the time when I am busy.

At the end of the day, after all my work is done, I enjoy sitting on my patio and looking over what I have done that day. I take pride in the neatly trimmed sidewalks and borders and the evenly cut grass.

I've also had time to do things that I've put off. I've given my shop a thorough cleaning, and all tools and equipment are properly stored. The garage has been washed and cleaned, and my truck now gets a good hand washing once a month.

Retirement . . .  it's the best thing I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment