The mission was founded in 1722 near Matagorda Bay to minister to the Karankawa Indians. In 1749, it was relocated to its present site one-half mile south of Goliad on the San Antonio River. The mission operated the first large cattle ranch on the frontier of New Spain and supplied the needs of communities as far away as Louisiana. Mission Espiritu Santo continued in existence for 110 years. The mission chapel, granary and school, all within a walled compound, were restored between 1935 and 1939 by the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration under National Park Service direction. Today Mission Espiritu Santo is open to the public as part of the Goliad State Historical Park.
|The chapel at Mission Espiritu Santo|
|Believed to be the last remaining walls from the mission's original construction.|